ElderSource FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Questions About Seniors and Resources

Each client that is served by an ElderSource Customer Service Specialist has a unique situation. The following are some of the more commonly asked questions heard by our Customer Service Specialists. Please call the Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) HelpLine for more information related to your specific needs.

Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What is the process when I call the ElderSource ADRC HelpLine?
ElderSource has a supportive staff of Customer Service Specialists answering calls every day. They will listen carefully to your concerns and ask you a variety of questions to determine your specific needs. Depending on your needs, we may be able to provide you with information to answer your questions, make referrals to community resources or conduct a screening to determine if you need and/or may be eligible for other services and benefits.   This screening may take anywhere from 25 to 45 minutes.

What are some of the programs I may be eligible for?
Depending on your needs and circumstances, you may be eligible for assistance from various state and federally-funded programs. Some of the services the ADRC staff can help you access, but are not limited to:

  • Congregate dining and home delivered meals
  • Legal assistance
  • Senior center programs
  • Medicaid, Medicare and long-term care insurance information, counseling and education
  • Adult daycare and caregiver support
  • Consumer issues (scams on seniors; consumer protection programs)
  • Emergency energy assistance and minor home repairs
  • Support for grandparents raising grandchildren
  • Food bank information
  • Services in the home such as personal care, homemaking, and emergency alert response
  • Respite for caregivers
  • Transportation
  • SNAP (formerly known as food stamps)
  • Health and wellness classes

Is there an income or asset requirement to receive home and community based services?
The Aging and Disability Resource Center HelpLine has a robust database of resource which includes those programs funded by ElderSource as well as many other resources in the community, some of which are government subsidized and some of which are available on a private pay basis. Each program has its own eligibility requirements. It is best to call an ElderSource Customer Service Specialist because everyone’s situation is different. Call 1.888.242.4464.

What determines how long I will be expected to wait until I begin in home services like help w/ bathing or home delivered meals?
When you contact the ADRC, a Customer Services Specialist will explain the resources based your conversation with the Customer Service Specialist. Should you be screened for any of ElderSource’s funded programs and services and services are not available at the time, you may be placed on a waiting list. Length of time on the waiting list is dependent on funding available and the risk scores of the individuals on the list which is determined by the screening tool. Because of this, the list is fluid and we cannot predict how long someone will be on the list, nor can we tell where someone is on the list.

Who do I contact regarding Medicare questions and costs?
ElderSource provides free, unbiased counseling through its SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs for Elders) program. You can visit www.floridashine.org to get an overview on the SHINE program, but call one of ElderSource’s SHINE counselors to get your questions answered. Call 1.888.242.4464.

If I suspect a neighbor (elder) is being mistreated or in need of help, who do I contact first?
Any kind of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation is a crime. If you suspect that you or someone you know is a victim of abuse, call toll-free 1.800.962.2873 (1.800.96.ABUSE). All calls are confidential.

How do I apply for the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care and Long-term Care program?
ElderSource is the agency responsible for screening individuals to receive benefits of the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care and Long-term Care program. For the seven counties of Northeast Florida ElderSource is responsible for assisting individuals with access to the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long-Term Care Program. The Long-Term Care program allows individuals to remain in their home and receive services including assisted living facility. Our Customer Service Specialists will help you apply for the right program. Call the ADRC at 1.888.242.4464.

I’m 63 years old; what kind of help can I get from ElderSource?
The ADRC provides information and referral for privately/publicly funded benefits and services. In addition, we help Florida residents age 60 and older, or a person with a disability age 18 or older, access services by waitlist placement and assistance with Medicaid eligibility.

Can you help me with challenges of finding transportation to my doctors’ offices, to the library or grocery shopping?
The Customer Service Specialist will direct you to the community transportation provider for your county. If you are in the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Medical Assistance program you will need to call your managed care organization for Medicaid non-emergency medical transportation.

I’m a caregiver for an elderly relative and I need help from someone to assist me so I can get out to go shopping, errands, attend church services. Who do I call?
Call the ADRC Helpline for information and referrals for privately/publicly funded benefits and services such as caregiver support, meals on wheels, etc. Call the ADRC at 1.888.242.4464

Where can I get more information about nursing homes, assisted living facilities and managed care organizations and what services they have to offer?
Go to the AHCA web site for more information. For more information regarding the managed care plans call 1-877-711-3662.

Florida Health Finder lists Florida health care facilities; information on health insurance; medical care resources for the uninsured; resources for seniors; and much more. On this website you can also find information to help you compare the quality and cost performance of hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, health plans, nursing homes, and prescription drugs. Go to the Florida Health Finder.

Can you pay my electric bill?
ElderSource administers the Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) for residents of Duval County. For residents of Baker, Clay, Flagler, Nassau, St. Johns and Volusia Counties contact the ADRC HelpLine to be directed to the appropriate agency.

Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) assists low-income households, with at least one person age 60 and older, when the households are experiencing a home energy emergency. A home energy emergency may result from a delinquent utility bill, lack of heating fuel or the receipt of a shut off notice. Payments are for home heating or cooling and other emergency energy-related costs during the heating (October-March) and cooling (April-September) seasons. Assistance can be provided only once per season. This is a federally funded program with specific eligibility criteria. Please note that cases are reviewed on a first come first served basis and it depends on the crisis and our ability to resolve the underlying cause. Call ElderSource at 1.888.242.4464.

Does ElderSource have any volunteer opportunities?
Yes! The SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) program is always in need of volunteers. Call 904-391-6631. Find out more.

10688 Old St. Augustine Road
Jacksonville, FL 32257

Toll free: 888.242.4464
Local: 904.391.6600
Fax: 904.391.6693

Office: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
HelpLine: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visually or audio-impaired dial
Florida Relay Services at 7-1-1