ElderSource – A History of Helping Seniors and Elders
The Northeast Florida Area Agency on Aging, Inc. is an independent, private nonprofit corporation that was organized and incorporated by the State of Florida in 1973. Our purpose is to provide services to enhance the quality of life of persons 60 years and over.
Funding for our programs and services comes from the Older American Act, which was enacted in 1965 crating the Administration on Aging. Other funding to support the agency comes from the United States Department of Agriculture, the Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative and the Community Care for the Elder Act.
ElderSource is responsible for administering and monitoring these funds that are channeled to support the needed services in the seven counties we serve.
A timeline of our history:
- 1965 – Congress Passed the Older Americans Act, establishing the Administration on Aging
- 1972 – The National Nutrition Program of the Older Americans Act was created.
- 1973 – The Older Americans Act was amended to include Area Agencies on Aging.
- 1973 – Community Care for the Elderly for frail elders was passed by the Florida Legislature.
- 1974 – Area Agency on Aging for Northeast Florida was incorporated.
- 1978 – The state designated the Area Agency for Northeast Florida.
- 1981 – Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elders is funded through the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act.
- 1985 – The Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative Program began.
- 1988 – The Department of Elder Affairs was created as a result of a constitutional amendment and established by statute in 1991.
- 2000 – The Older Americans Act was amended to include the National Family Caregiver Support Program.
- 2004 – State passed legislation requiring the transition of Area Agencies to Aging Resource Centers.
- 2005 – The agency re-branded as ElderSource.
- 2008 – ElderSource started as the Aging Resource Center; increased Elder Helpline staff from 2 to 14; started branch office in Volusia/Flagler.
- 2009 – Friends of ElderSource, ElderSource in Action, ElderSource Inc. were all incorporated.
- 2010 – Friends of ElderSource starts its first annual membership campaign and has its first annual event.
- 2010 – ElderSource in Action provides its first services.
- 2010 – All three of the new corporations file for non-profit status.
- 2011 – Designated as an Aging and Disability Resource Center.
- 2012 – Formed Wise Owl as a 501C2
- 2013 – ElderSource moved its headquarters to its current location on Old St. Augustine Road
- 2013 – The Mobile Resource Center is completed and ready for community outreach activities.