Report Elder Abuse, Call The Abuse Hotline at:
1(800)96-ABUSE : 1(800)962-2873
Elder abuse can occur in many forms including physical, mental, emotional, sexual or financial exploitation. Neglect can be in the form of self-neglect or neglect by a caregiver. Elder abuse can also occur in all types of relationships including: family members, hired caregivers, or targeted scams that prey on the vulnerability of older adults. With your help we can make progress in addressing and preventing future abuse.
If you need to report a suspicion of elder abuse, call Florida Abuse Hotline at 1(800)96-ABUSE : 1(800)962-2873.
Press 1 to report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of the elderly or a vulnerable adult. This toll free number is available 24/7.
Frequently Asked Questions
How widespread is elder abuse and neglect?
According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, between 700,000 and 3.5 million older adults are abused or neglected in the United States each year. For every case that is reported, fourteen go unreported.
Why be concerned about the issue?
Elder abuse and neglect are crimes. Older adults are our parents, grandparents, friends, neighbors, and heroes. They deserve our respect and care, not mistreatment.
Are there different types of elder abuse and neglect?
Elder abuse may be physical, emotional, financial, or sexual. Neglect may be neglect by a caregiver or self-neglect.
Are there signs of abuse?
Signs of abuse may include obvious physical signs such as bruises or burns, malnutrition or dehydration, and soiled clothing. There are also behavioral signs of abuse. Fear, isolation, withdrawal, hesitancy to speak openly, giving implausible explanations are indicators that there may be a problem.
What can be done?
If you or someone you know is being abused or neglected, call the abuse hotline at 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Also, keep in contact with older relatives, friends, and neighbors and check on their well-being.
Elder Abuse Information Brochures
Helpful Phone Numbers and Links
ElderSource Institute offers an online elder abuse training course. Click here to sign-up NOW!
- AARP Fraud and Scams information
- Medicare Fraud/ Senior Medicare Patrol
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs – Elder Abuse Prevention Program
- National Council on Aging Elder Abuse Facts
- To report elder abuse, please contact the Abuse Hotline: 1(800)96-ABUSE : 1(800)962-2873
- For concerns about nursing homes and assisted living facilities, please contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman: 1(888)831-0404
- For concerns and complaints about insurance, please contact the Florida Department of Financial Services:
- To remove your name from telemarketing lists, please contact the Federal Trade Commission’s National Do Not Call Registry: 1(888)382-1222
- To find out if a business or professional is licensed, please contact the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation: 1(850)487-1395
- For assistance with legal issues, please contact the Senior Legal Helpline: 1(888)895-7873
For TDD hearing impaired, please contact
To Report Fraud
- The Department of Justice has an interactive tool for elders who have been financially exploited to help determine to which agency they should report their incident, and also a senior scam alert website.
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Internet Crime Complaint Center receives complaints at this website or by calling 1(800)225-5324.
- The Federal Trade Commission has a website and a phone number 1(877)382-4357 where victims can file complaints that then are made available to law enforcement.
- The Administration for Community Living, part of the Department of Health and Human Services, has an excellent resource for finding services specifically for elders and their families.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website has information on how to protect older adults from fraud and financial exploitation.